Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Things Kids Say

Today I ate lunch with about 30 kindergarteners at a local elementary school. I sat by my new, little 5-year-old friend Katherine.

After asking me where I was from four times, she finally told me she was from Honduras. When I asked her where in Honduras and started offering the names of the cities I knew, she asked me why I was talking like that. Apparently, I am not too good at pronouncing the names of Honduran cities.

Then, she told me she had a cousin from Vietnam and her cousin was teaching her to speak Vietnam. Next, she told me she had a cousin from China. Naturally, I am a bit skeptical at this point.

And then came the best cousin of all. She apparently also had a cousin from Barackobama. Yes, it came out of her mouth as one word "Barackobama." I am really not sure where that country is, and I had to turn my head and giggle after asking her to repeat what she said twice.

My simple joy for the day: learning about new countries from new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment